Monroe, Greene, and Owen counties disburse $45,911 in Emergency Food and Shelter Program Phase 40 Funding
May 10, 2023: The Emergency Food and Shelter Program (EFSP) Local Board, coordinated by United Way of Monroe County, awarded $45,911 to 11 agencies in Greene, Monroe, and Owen counties serving some of our most vulnerable community members.
Funding was provided in the following areas:
Food Pantries: $18,545
Rent and Mortgage: $5,558
Served Meals: $6,615
Utilities Assistance: $1,063
Many thanks to our local board members for their careful consideration of the applications, and to our grant-funded agencies for providing food and shelter to those in need.
A Local Board of representatives from the region determined how the awarded funds were distributed among local emergency food and shelter applicants.
- Monroe County representatives include the City of Bloomington, United Way of Monroe County, American Red Cross, Salvation Army, the Bloomington Jewish Community, Catholic Charities, IU Health Bloomington, Heading Home of South Central Indiana, and the Monroe County Commissioners;
- Greene County representatives include the Greene County Foundation and the Greene County United Methodist Church; and
- Owen County representatives include the Owen County Court Services.
Under the terms of the grant from the National Board, local organizations chosen to receive funds must:
- be private voluntary non-profits or units of government;
- have an accounting system;
- practice nondiscrimination;
- have demonstrated the capability to deliver emergency food and/or shelter programs;
- have a voluntary board of directors if a private non-profit organization; and
- be eligible to receive federal funds.